Thursday, July 17, 2008

To My Grandfather

Dear Ah Gong,

I had a shock when I received the phonecall last evening. It seemed so surreal. I know you had been suffering but I never thought it would be so soon.

But it seemed like you knew. You just said that you wanted a simple affair in the morning, then in the evening you left.

As I went to your house, I saw how the renovations in Chinatown were finishing... they were finally doing the lifts on every floor. I know that was the thing you looked forward to most... yet you couldn't wait until they were done. They took so long...

I walked into the house and there you were lying with your arms across your chest. You looked like you would wake up and laugh... but I know I would never see that again.

Never see you staring out the window looking at the landscape changing

Never see you playing Mahjong on the console

Never see you sitting there discuss soccer with my dad/bro/cousin

You were the hippiest Grandpa any kid could have. Who else had one who could converse in so many languages, including English then? Who else had one who could teach us how to play video games? Who had an ah gong who knew all about the latest electronic stuff before we did? Or could operate and fix electronic devices better than anyone could?

I'm so sorry. So sorry I didn't make time for you. I loved you very much yet I didn't do the simplest of things. Please forgive me.

From Your Granddaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments... Do leave one behind. It will only show up after moderation. :)