Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Well well

I FINALLY got to read the papers today!

And I got to read about a certain little Miss Wee. And her daddy's comments today..

'I think if you cut through the insensitivity of the language, her basic point is reasonable, that is, that a well-educated university graduate who works for a multinational company should not be bemoaning about the Government and get on with the challenges in life.

Nonetheless, I have counselled her to learn from it. Some people cannot take the brutal truth and that sort of language, so she ought to learn from it.

...................

I will not gag her, since she's 18 and should be able to stand by what she says.

The new media of the Internet is such that if you don't like what she has said, you have the right of rebuttal.

Hopefully, after the discussion, everyone will be the richer for it. As a parent, I may not have inculcated the appropriate level of sensitivity, but she has learnt a lesson, and it's good that she has learnt it at such an early stage in life.'


- ANG MO KIO GRC MP WEE SIEW KIM on his daughter's comments (Source: The Straits Times, 24 Oct 2006)

Whoa....

I'm actually quite surprised... So Daddy actually agrees with his girl on "a well-educated university graduate who works for a multinational company should not be bemoaning about the Government and get on with the challenges in life." I think everyone has the right to talk about the challenges of their lives and the fact that they're complaining does not mean that they're not dealing with it. Looking at the flood of response this guy got... and possibly more, only if the thing wasn't blown up, Singaporeans are fully capable of complaining and working hard at the same time.

You simply cannot deny that it is difficult for a 40 yr old to find a job in Singapore. My own mom has had problems even when she has insisted to many that she does not mind the drastic pay cut. She just wants less stress. You can't deny the difficulties, but by complaining about that does not mean that we don't recognise that the Garment has done something for us. Moreover, the Garment caters to the masses. Some people just fall through their grasp. Time and again. How can you blame those?

I simply do not believe that Daddy and Girlie here have never complained even once in their cushy lives.

Some people cannot take the brutal truth.... Tact is something we must all learn. Not just to protect the feelings of others... but also to maintain the peace and harmony of the country. Daddy should know better.

she has learnt it at such an early stage in life... Is 18 young? I didn't know that. I kinda think it's a little late man.

Well bad or good ... wanted or otherwise, Girlie's got a good share of publicity cos she's been insensitive, assuming and inaccurate.

Just cos someone complains doesn't mean he's a leech, a dependent in our society.

You're complaining too Little Miss Elite . If we're too good for you, go join your little elite friends, who love reading your tactless rantings. Go to your little world and leave us in peace.
____________________________________________

That said, in the forum today...

"IN SATURDAY'S Straits Times, it was reported that a Primary 6 pupil with a heart disease died in school the previous day.

What I found shocking was that a teacher called the father, who arrived minutes later and performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the boy.

Why did the teacher not perform CPR first? When someone has a heart attack, every second counts.

Are our teachers not trained in CPR and basic first aid? And if not, why is this so?

First aid should be part of the curriculum for trainee teachers and teachers should be required to go for first-aid refresher courses. Training only the Physical Education teachers is not sufficient."

By Mr. Goh Lee Jin
(Source: The Straits Times, 24 Oct 2006)

I was inclined to agree with Mr. Goh over the matter. It certainly makes sense for the nearest adult to be equipped with the right skills to perform CPR on the student.

Then it struck me... In my first aid manual (from sometime back), it says that CPR performed wrongly can cause someone to die instantly. The rib cage breaks and stabs into the lungs or other vital organs.

A teacher's job is not to perform CPR on a daily basis. Which means even if she is properly trained (or certified and got paper one), the chances of her performing it perfectly could be very slim.

Which then means that after the teacher spends hours being trained and receiving proper certification... she then spends hours being re-trained at regular intervals like once 2-3 months?

WHERE GOT TIME?

.... Then this also means that ALLL the teachers need to be trained cos it could happen in anyone's classroom right? Whoa. That's a helluva lot of teachers... and hours.... and who's going to do it? Which organisation? Or is MOE going to set up a new unit for this?

Well Mr. Goh, I guess we can both safely say we wun be seeing all the teachers rushing to do CPR all that soon.

________________________________________

Organising a small contest for my beady blog soon :) Will update! lala

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments... Do leave one behind. It will only show up after moderation. :)